Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

The Big House Welcomes Michigan's Rivals.


This weekend we have celebrated Thanksgiving with our families, watched our society go crazy by sleeping on the sidewalks to save money on a "door buster" deal, the Wing play the Bruins in the NHL's lame new "Thanksgiving" classic and the most normal thing about this thing will happen Saturday at the Big House, we welcome Michigan's real rival to Ann Arbor, Ohio States hairless nutz.

I hate to say it like this but this weekend, as a fan I will be celebrating the game between Michigan's real rival. Rivalries come in all shapes and sizes. Some can be over a vicious game, a brutal series, an in state rival or one that is born and bread in you from the time you are old enough to understand sports in general. A rival that is considered by some the best rivalry in all of sports. This is such a heated rivalry its been called a "ten years war"! Books have been written about it, HBO did special on it. This is Michigan's biggest and real rival.

I know the series has been one-sided as of late but with what OSU is going thru we have an idea as to why one team has dominated. On top of that Michigan went away from Big Ten football and brought in a coach that figured you didn't need to play defense in the Big Ten. Funny Michigan's record has looked the same way versus most good teams in the last few years. Thankfully the Richrod era has passed us by. Lets hope the Hoke continues to build a team that will allow Michigan to walk with swagger again.

Without another football team to root for locally (Not a Lions fan) Michigan has been my team. A winner, a team with class and team that always got the other teams best effort. The Steelers are my adopted NFL team, have been since I was small, but I can honestly say I don't understand the Steelers rivalry like I do Michigan's. That comes from putting years of heart and tears into a team. You can't just "get that" by rooting. So I understand MSU and ND's frustration when they want to make Michigan their big rival. It isn't there yet, you can't make it happen. Calling names even after winning won't make your school a bigger rival.

For the last four years, we've seen Michigan split games with Notre Dame and watched as State cleaned Michigan's clock. Sadly, that has turned many Spartan fans into what they like to proclaim Michigan is know for, false arrogance and bravado because as Spartan fans say all the time...they haven't won nothing. They beat the Wolverines and that's about it. In fact I've seen people I known rooting against Michigan losing and not really caring if the Spartans won or not. I don't know about you but I'm a pretty big football fan and want the in-state teams to do great. The Spartans 5th year senior QB added to this by saying he can walk around the rest of his life knowing he never lost to Michigan. I root for State when they aren't playing Michigan, I was pretty happy to hear Cousins say this.

Let's hope Michigan ends the streak against OSU this weekend. They need too, and with all the buzz around OSU getting Urban Meyer, I hope they get it done this year, because it seems like its back to real football for the Big Ten next year. I also hope Michigan put a big hurt on OSU for the recent beatings Big Blue has taken. I'm tired of their fans, I'm tired of them PEROID.....they are Michigan's BIGGEST RIVAL!

GO BLUE!

No comments:

Post a Comment