Pages

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Smooth calls...


I'm not going to use my blog to bag ump's. I understand they are human and make bad calls. Most of the time, they make the perfect call. The best kind of official is the one you didn't realize was there. Often times, they seem to forget this.

When I see a special call, I don't mean balls and strikes either but those ones that stick with you for a while I'm going to just give my two cents...

Why? well, when you complain to others who know the game or even that nice waitress at a restaurant, they don't listen. Its almost as if they are hearing a foreign language.

I'm also going to try and educate myself further, as I have no clue most of the rules these guys live by. I only know the game I've been playing or rooting for most of my life. From governing body to governing body, they have variations of rules.

This week’s gem was at Motor City Showdown in Canton, Mi. If you have never been to Canton, you aren't missing much. It is a dust bowl, expensive and

The ASA ump, called a foul ball on a one bouncer that then hit the bag. Three feet from my daughters team coach. He ruled it foul, stating it bounced foul before it hit the bag.

Here is what I could find and what I know: (source)

Just a side note from parents of our team and this is hear say and more than anything it was probably the ump trying to be friendly; he was heard telling the other team between innings "you welcome for that foul ball call".




B. Batted Ball

1) A batted ball that first hits the ground

before it reaches 1st or 3rd base is fair, if it settles in fair territory, is



touched by a player while the ball is on or over fair ground, or if the ball passes over 1st or 3rd base, regardless

of where the ball hits the ground after going over the base.

2) A batted ball that first hits the ground

beyond 1st or 3rd base is fair or foul based on where it hits the ground

that first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment